Katherine Reads

I love books, mostly young adult!

The Maze Runner (Maze Runner Series #1)

The Maze Runner - James Dashner I think that this book was so amazing once you get past the first part. The first couple of chapters, you don't know anything about what is going on and it gets annoying for readers that want to know. On the other side, that is one of the best parts because it makes you feel like you are the "Greenie." The main character, Thomas, would not be someone you would like to be around for more than a hour. He comes off as very confused and annoyed that he is confused. Then, he starts deciding that he has to be the one to do everything so he can get answers. Was trying to get stung by a Griever really necessary? No. He just wanted to so he could figure out what was going on. Minho and Newt were my favorite characters. I hope that in the next book we learn more about Teresa, because I hate the way they described her. It made her sound like a pretty, sarcastic girl (like Johanna in The Hunger Games). I also could have dealt without the Thomas/Teresa romance. That wasn't needed for anything, just do get in the romance which is in almost every book now. So you are probably wondering why I gave this book five stars if I just keep complaining? And the best answer for that is because James Dashner writes it in such a way that you must keep reading. You can relate to a character and being written in third person, it is easy to find one without the influence of the main character's thoughts about him/her. You are totally confused at points and toward the end during the huge finale, you want to cry for the people that die and you feel so bad for Chuck trying to find his family. In the end, it leaves you with a huge cliff hanger that you just can't wait to get the next book. Too bad there is a huge waiting list at the library.