Katherine Reads

I love books, mostly young adult!

The Chosen - Chaim Potok I had to read this book for school and after reading a lot of books for school that I did not like, I didn't have high expectations for this one. It started off good, but I didn't have the urge to keep reading so it sat around for a while. I decided to read it all one day and well, it was the best book I've ever read for school. The book is about two Jewish boys and their fathers who live in America around the time of World War II. The beginning starts with the two boys' meeting at a baseball game. The best part of the book would be when the information about the persecution of the Jews was released. The two fathers has different stances, one wants a Jewish state to be formed and the other doesn't. This has a major impact on their friendship. At the end, you get to learn about the harsh ways that Danny's father has been teaching him and Danny overcomes to follow his dreams, not his father's. The one thing that I wish they would've focused on more is their reactions to various events during that time like D-day, the end of World War II, and Roosevelt's death. They are mentioned, but only very briefly. If you aren't familiar with the Jewish faith (like I was), this book is still very informative and you don't have to understand everything that they are talking about to get the full meaning. It does teach you a lot about the religion. Overall, this book was a very good read. I am happy that I had to read it for school because I probably wouldn't have found it otherwise. It isn't majorly excited or has tons of cliffhangers, but reading it is sure worth your time.